Let’s Get Crafty! Getting Started with Crocheting & KnittingJune 18, 2020
We love staying creative at Blue Harbor! From painting classes to Craft Corner, we are always finding ways to help residents nurture their inner artists. Just take a look at the many ways our residents have been staying creative; their positivity boards are simply the sweetest!
We’re always looking to pick up hobbies new and old, and today’s craft feature is going to be on crocheting and knitting.
Crocheting is HEALTHY!
Did you know that learning how to crochet can actually help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s? With our Memory Care programs (and June, by the way, is Alzheimer’s Awareness Month!) we understand the important of taking brain health seriously.
Let’s take a look at a few other benefits of learning how to knit and crochet:
- Boost in creativity and self-expression
- Reduced stress or anxiety
- Greater relaxation and improved sleep
- Improved memory and concentration
- Boost in positive mood (in fact, crochet is known to be a type of therapy; learn more about crochet therapy here!)
- & of course, the opportunity to have FUN!
In our communities, too, knitting and crocheting can be an opportunity to be more social! We have crafting opportunities at all of our senior living communities, so be sure to ask your Activity Director about group crocheting and knitting opportunities; you could even start your own crochet club!
Starting Knitting and Crocheting
It is totally natural to feel overwhelmed before picking up a new hobby. However, many will be surprised by how accessible and affordable getting started with knitting and crocheting really can be!
The 3 basic supplies you’ll need include:
- An aluminum crochet hook (depending on what will fit your hand, you can choose I-9 or H-8)
- A ball of yarn (pick your favorite color!)
The Spruce Crafts offers a great beginner’s guide to crocheting. Another way to learn, which is super helpful for all of you visual learners out there, is through YouTube!
Search for ‘crochet for beginners,’ or check out some of the recommended videos below:
- How to Knit: Absolute Beginner Knitting
- Another Easy for Beginners video depending on your preference!
- Once you’ve tried beginner classes and feel comfortable, you can try making a scarf! Here’s a step-by-step guide to knitting a scarf.
Happy knitting! Follow us on Facebook and share what you’ve made. We’d love to see you create something just for YOU, or even make a gift for a loved one!
Back to Community Life