Transitioning to a Senior Living Apartment: What You Need to KnowAugust 15, 2017 | Chateau Brickyard
Making the transition to a senior living apartment can seem like a big change, especially if you or your loved one have lived in the same house for many years. But with their extensive amenity and activity offerings, senior living communities offer a lot to look forward to. Whether you're looking into senior apartments for yourself or a loved one, this blog will walk you through the basics of moving into a senior living apartment.
Moving to Independent Living Checklist
If you don't live in an apartment already, you may have to downsize before you move into your new home. Enlist friends and family members to help divide your things into keep, store, and donate piles. Here are a few more tips to make the move as seamless as possible:
- Don't be afraid to ask for help - There are companies that specialize in helping seniors downsize!
- Determine if your new apartment is furnished - Some senior living communities like Chateau Brickyard allow you to bring the pieces that you love from home!
- Plan your apartment layout - Ask for a floor plan of your unit so that you can start mapping out your new space in advance.
Acclimating to Senior Living Community Life
When adjusting to your new space, you'll want your new apartment to feel like home right from the beginning. Hang your favorite photos and pieces of art work to give your new senior apartment a welcoming feel.
Once you're settled in here comes the fun part. Senior living communities like Chateau Brickyard offer a variety of amenities and activities like restaurant-style dining, a fitness center, scheduled transportation, and so much more! Make the transition to independent living easy with these tips:
- Try one new activity each day - With so many different activities to choose from, sometimes it's easiest to start slowly. You'll find your favorite activities in no time!
- Say hello to an unfamiliar face - Active senior apartments provide so many opportunities for socialization. Spark a conversation with someone new!
- Invite family & friends for a visit - Many independent living communities allow family and friend to join in on activities. Don't let them miss out on the fun!
Not sure if a senior living community in Salt Lake City, UT, is right for you or your loved one? Take our senior lifestyle survey to see what housing option or senior care is best for you, or check out our blog about Chateau Brickyard apartment floor plans to help you find the right layout for you!
Back to Community Life